Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pendragon: The Lost City of Faar by D.J. MacHale



Characters:
Plot:
Writing:
Cover:


Fourteen-year-old Bobby Pendragon is not like other boys his age. His uncle Press is a Traveler, and, as Bobby has learned, that means Uncle Press is responsible, through his journeys, for solving interdimensional conflict wherever he encounters it. His mission is nothing less than to save the universe from ultimate evil. And he's taking Bobby along for the ride.

Fresh from his first adventure on Denduron, Bobby finds himself in the territory of Cloral, a vast world that is entirely covered by water. Cloral is nearing a disaster of huge proportions. Reading the journals Bobby sends home, his friends learn that the desperate citizens of the endangered floating cities are on the brink of war. Can bobby - suburban basketball star and all-around nice guy - help rid the area of marauders, and locate the legendary lost land of Faar, which may hold the key to Cloral's survival?


So, I was kind of hoping this would be a Supernatural book, just so I could stick to the Genre of the Month, but it is obviously a fantasy. (With some sci-fi thrown in!) Okay, so L gave me this book at our last book club, and I have to say it ended up being pretty dang amazing! (Although there was no romance.) Anyways, to the review!

So, this is kind of a random non content related thing, but the first thing I liked about this book was it's smell. Call me crazy, but I miss the smell of the paper that was in all of my first chapter books. The rough greyish kind, do you remember? Well I didn't notice people stopped using it until I read this book and noticed the first paperback version came out in 2003, so it explained the paper. Anyways, actual content stuff now. Well, I have to warn you that this book is a sequel, and I did not read the first book. I think you should be fine with not reading the first, because the first two chapters catch you up on whats going on, which is a little boring but when you get to where Bobby enters Cloral, the pace really picks up. Okay, I love love LOVED the characters and their dialogue in this book. On Cloral, Bobby befriends a guy named Spader (who is the Traveler from Cloral but he doesn't know it yet.) and I absolutely loved Spader. I'd imagine Spader had somewhat of an Australian or British accent, just based on the way he says things like 'mate.' But he also has his own dialogue that is specific to the younger people on Cloral. Spader is VERY energetic and runs around saying things like 'Hobey-ho!' and 'We're in a bit of a tum-tigger aren't we, mate?' This may seem very goofy to you, but that is one of the best parts of the book. MacHale really knows how to come up with some great dialogue. Tell you the truth, I kind of have a little book crush on Spader. But off the topic of Spader now. Not only were the characters and dialogue amazing, but I loved the plot and setting. I don't know about you, but I love the idea of Atlantis possibly existing, and Faar is Cloral's version of Atlantis. Cloral itself is a world I want to live in. Everyone lives on huge, floating cities and gets ood from underwater farms. And everything there uses water in a way to make something or power something. I really loved the idea of water poweringerything. Their guns and cannons shoot water! (Which sounds ineffective, but it really was effective.) I've always been a bit of a sci-fi geek, so I wasn't exactly kicking and screaming at the thought of some sci-fi mixed in with my Fantasy. I know I've been rambling and basically just saying how I have a crush on Spader and want to live on Cloral, but that should be a hint to how amazing this book is. If it wasn't amazing, I wouldn't want to live in that world. Excuse my rambling :) But long story short, read this book!

ps. I really didn't get that into the chapters on Earth where his friends were reading the journal, but they are important, and it was probably due to the fact that I didn't get to know them in the first book.

Love always,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment