Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Turning by Helen Ellis


Characters:
Plot:
Writing:
Cover:

Mary Richards is a normal sixteen-year-old girl living in Manhattan. Well, almost normal. She goes to private school on the Upper East Side, having been saved from a life of squalor by an adoptive family. But she’s also slowly transforming into a cat.

Struggling to hide her physical metamorphosis, Mary discovers that she isn’t alone. A whole race of cat people prowls the streets of Manhattan at night, including Mary’s long-time crush, Nick.

Aside from heightened feline senses, hanging out with Nick is the best thing about discovering her inner kitty. But Mary’s transformation is special and could decide the outcome of a citywide turf war. She must decide whether to embrace her powerful feline side and become a pack leader or go back to being a normal teenage girl. Can she land on her feet or will curiosity be her downfall?


UGH! I so wanted this book to be good. I was at the B&N yesterday shopping for books to read over my vacation on Thursday, and I saw this one and was like wow, I judge books by their covers and until now that method hadn't failed me. I mean look at this cover. It’s beautiful! Unfortunately the story wasn't! I'm sad to say that this book was a waste of money. And it was a hardcover! ugh.

Mary Richard can turn into a cat. Actually for some reason, I had a cat fetish at the B&N yesterday. That I just realized. Anyway, The characters of The Turning seemed random, 1 dimensional, underdeveloped, and at some points boring. Mary was an okay character, being in the adoption system she seemed like she could never really have a solid home, but other than that there wasn't much else, what does she like, dislike? Nope. Nothing. Her love interest, Nick, was similar in the underdeveloped part, he seemed to be solely there to tell her what was going on, and so that the story could technically have a "love" plot. More on that, the "romance" between Mary and Nick happened overnight, literally. One night it was "Oh yeah I have a crush on him, but we haven’t spoken at all." then "Now were dating!" In one night? Get real. The supporting characters seemed to be there so the story could have supporting characters, there wasn't really any other reason for them to be there. The plot was okay-ish, from the cover it seemed like this intense, dangerous, thrill ride. However I found myself laughing at times that were supposed to be serious, things seemed rushed and forced. But the idea was there. Finally the dialogue. And I thought the characters were underdeveloped. Ellis seems to be the type of person who's into very descriptive writing but not when it matters. She seemed completely comfortable name dropping brands like "my Victoria's Secret sweatshirt that says Love Pink on the back" but couldn't describe crucial scenes like the first time Mary changed into a cat. The dialogue was also really confusing and I found myself having to re-read pages to figure out what was going on. Overall, if you really really want to read this book, check it out from the library or wait for paperback, it's definitely not worth hardcover price. Hopefully my next book will be better.

xoxo,

Shelbie

No comments:

Post a Comment