Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan

Release Date: 6/2/2009
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 229
Overall:

Nick and his brother, Alan, have spent their lives on the run from magic. Their father was murdered, and their mother was driven mad by magicians and the demons who give them power. The magicians are hunting the Ryves family for a charm that Nick's mother stole -- a charm that keeps her alive -- and they want it badly enough to kill again.

Danger draws even closer when a brother and sister come to the Ryves family for help. The boy wears a demon's mark, a sign of death that almost nothing can erase...and when Alan also gets marked by a demon, Nick is desperate to save him. The only way to do that is to kill one of the magicians they have been hiding from for so long.
Ensnared in a deadly game of cat and mouse, Nick starts to suspect that his brother is telling him lie after lie about their past. As the magicians' Circle closes in on their family, Nick uncovers the secret that could destroy them all.

This is the Demon's Lexicon. Turn the page.


Okay, this book is insanely good! I was so hooked after the first page! It's amazing!


The thing about The Demon's Lexicon that was different from the other books I've read recently was that the main character was male, I don't know what it is but I don't think I've ever read a book with a male main character ***Okay, so my mother just informed my that "I am a liar liar pants on fire" because I have read Harry Potter and The Vampires Assistant but at the time I didn't remember when I had read a book with a male main character***, don't know why, I just haven't. But I loved this one Nick was a great main character, he was easy to relate to, even though he wasn't anything like me. I don't even know how to explain it, but something about him just hooked me! I loved the contrast between bad boy Nick and his brother, the good guy, Alan. Who's world both revolves around magic, wizards, and demons. Enter, Mae and Jamie, who are forced in the Nick's world by accident and refuse to leave and you get wonderful contrast between everyone!


If I could give six stars it would go to the plot. At the beginning I was a little confused, but as I got to know the world I loved it! I was blindsided by all the plot twists and turns. I didn't really see the ending coming, it was one of my theories, but I didn't think it was possible! It was also really interesting to be a side of a love triangle! I've only read the books where the person I caught in the middle, but it was so cool to see the opinion of a love triangle side, it definitely gave me new appreciation for love triangles!


The writing was amazing. It dropped plot hints but only enough for you to say "I know this important but I don't know why!" It was frustrating and intoxicating at the same time, I wanted to be frustrated and put the book down but I had to see what happened!


Overall, The Demon's Lexicon was fantastic and I am looking forward to get the next book The Demon's Covenant!


Characters:
Plot:
Writing:
Cover:

Have you read The Demon's Lexicon? Let me know what you thought of it by commenting!


xoxo,

No comments:

Post a Comment